Saturday, May 28, 2011

I am not schizophrenic, just confused and old

From a City-sponsored flyer available at the local Tourist Information Bureau and translated, lovingly and very unpunkly, by me:

“So you want to adapt quickly to San Marcos Sierras?

• Say hello to everyone you come across in the street
• Give the right-of-way to pedestrians, bicycles and horses
• Smile, even for no reason
• Throw trash in the provided bins
• Never drive faster than 30km/hr
• Walk a lot, and at some point in the day, go barefoot
• Enjoy the silence of the Sierra
• Be kind, simple, and understanding
• Take the time to share maté with friends
• Play in the sand, the river, and with the children
• Always direct your attitude and your thoughts towards positive things
• Look up at the night sky and discover how many more stars there are than you’d ever imagined
• From the moment you wake up, breathe deeply
• Discover new paths in the hills
• Only camp in indicated spots
• Eat bread, honey and homemade sweets, all with the faint aroma of nature and campfire
• Try and distinguish the smell of the tree from its fruits and flowers
• Don’t write on the walls or on the rocks of the river
• Love things the way Mother Nature made them
• Do a tour of the plaza “to see what’s new”

MOST IMPORTANTLY: BE HAPPY”

Seventeen-year-old me reads this (she’s been nagging at me lately) and I can hear her now. She’s ranting, “This is bullshit! You can’t expect me to read a fucking flyer and then suddenly follow all your rules on how to be happy. I’ll smile when I want and breathe how I want and camp where I want. You pretend to enjoy silence and sniff the trees and you walk barefoot, you fucking hippy.” And I would have punkly crumpled up the flyer and tossed it right in your face. In my face. Into my own face, because now I like this flyer. I love it actually. It’s obviously directed at a certain kind of S.U.V.-roaring tourist who needs to be brought down a notch and I love that I live in a town where the municipality funds pointed hippy drivel like it. But seventeen-year-old me is still indignant. She wants to headbutt me in the face and break my nose. She wants to paint the cross on the hill black and urinate publically on the mayor and move the fuck out of this hippy bubble to somewhere that’s really real. Fortunately, forty-year-old me is still one tough cookie and she backhands seventeen-year-old me and tells her to shut the fuck up, or else. This leaves us both rather quiet for now.

1 comment:

  1. I'm 47 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had the flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting in underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they started to find a solution on their own to help my condition.I am a 47 now who was diagnosed with COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but I was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of  Dr Akhigbe   total cure herbal medicine. My husband saw his testimony on the internet that he used his powerful medicine to cure different diseases. We contacted his email   [drrealakhigbe@gmail.com}   He has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and other diseases, will cure you totally and permanently with his natural organic herbs,We received the medicine through courier delivery service. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.
    Dr Akhighe also cured diseases like, HERPES, DIABETES, HIV/AIDS, COPD, CANCER,ASTHMA,STROKE,LUPUS,JOINT PAIN,CHRONIC DISEASES,PARKINSON DISEASES,TUBERCULOSIS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,BREAST INFECTION,WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM, GINGIVITIS, ERYSIPELAS,STAPHYLOCOCCUS,HEPATITIS A/B, QUICK EJACULATION, IMMUNOTHERAPY, GONORRHEA,SYPHILIS,WAST/BACK PAIN,PELVIC INFLAMMATORY, DICK ENLARGEMENT,HEART DISEASES,TERMINAL ILLNESS,SHIFT IN FOCUS,ATAXIA,COMMON COLD,CROHN'S DISEASES,ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER,GRAVES DISEASE,HEARING LOSS, INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS,LEUKEMIA,MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,OBESITY,RABIES,SCOLIOSIS,INFLUENZA, POLIO,JACOB,ETC. If you are out there looking for your cure please  contact  dr Akhigbe  by his email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or contact his whatsapp number   +2349010754824
    God bless you Dr Akhigbe for your good hand work on my life.

    ReplyDelete